Gear Holsters: What kind do you like and how many have you been through?

What's tactical?

What's your favorite kind of holster?

• Retention Level 1-3

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Competition - I'm fast af

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • AIWB - CCW ftw!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Other - Comment below!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ikeo1

Administrator
Staff member
Because of the looming 11% tax, I'm making my final purchases for the year. So come the accessories, that aren't affected by the tax, but I have to get to use.

What kind of holsters do you run? Currently I like to run the Tier 1 Concealment Axis Elite but competition holsters I'm all over the place. For me speed is the main goal and I found that some holsters and hangers were better than others.
  • Comp-tac
  • Concealment Express
  • Dara holsters
  • Black Scoripion Gear
  • DAA Max Holster
  • Redhill Tactical
  • GX Holsters
  • Big Dog Steel - latest holster for my new gear.
Just some notes for folks who are looking to buy and some questions you should ask if you're buying one.
  • Does it have an optic cut?
    • I bought concealment express only to find out it wasn't cut for an optic
  • Material - Soft or Hard?
    • Kydex is usually the go to but BDS uses what I think is 3d printed carbon fiber
    • Leather or cloth (no go for me, but some people dig it)
  • Trigger guard protection
  • Does it have integrated mag pouch or where will you carry it?
  • Does it come with a hanger
    • Is the hanger adjustable? In what directions.

These are just some of the questions over the time. Maybe I'll get to selling them but yeah its a lot of holsters!

IMG_2451.jpg

I like my holsters to be leather, typically cowhide, but horsehide is not off-the-table. Exotics are not for me. Plastics are not for me, although a sticky holster for a small pocket pistol is ok. Appendix carry is not for me.

Now that we have my general preferences out of the way, let's get down to specifics. If the gun is to be carried inside the waistband, I like the Milt Sparks VM2 with magnetic belt loops. Most of the time, though, I carry OWB. The best holster for that is the Ryan Grizzle GS2.

IMG_3428.jpeg

IMG_2811.jpeg

I am a fan of the JX Tactical Fat Guy holster. I use them on all my CCW Pistols. It's a very comfortable holster at least for me. I do recommend you get the ulticlips though, I feel they are more secure. I swapped out to the ulticlips on my Shield one and it's way better.

IMG_8781.jpg

I neglected to mention a couple of my other preferences. I like belt loops to be loops, I like two of them, and I like them to have snaps. In the case of Milt Sparks, magnets are better than snaps.

I'm pretty active, and there's no telling what kind of physical contortions I'll be confronted with throughout the day. I've found that a lot of bending, squatting, stretching, and twisting can push a holster sufficiently that a clip can come off the belt. An actual "loop" will prevent that. A single loop can allow the holster to shift around. Fixed loops, or slots in the holster through which the belt goes, will secure the holster and prevent it from moving, but there are times when I might want to take the holster off in the middle of the day. I don't want to get half undressed, so I like the loops to have a snap or other means of disconnect.

My entire handgun world is competition based.

I have used Safariland from the beginning and their departure from the USPSA/IPSC space has been a real conundrum.

At some point in time I'll need to look at the current hotness but for now I'll just hope everything fits what I have, which is mostly 2011 pattern guns

I just got the big dog steel carnivore holster for my PDP steel frame and I love it. Was using a black scorpion gear one before that for comps. Carry a Tenicor for M&P 4.25 every day and a LAS concealment Enso mag carrier. I think I went through 10 holsters in a couple years and the Tenicor is my favorite. Jm custom and LAS shogun were probably my favorite 2 after that. Learned over the years I hate sidecars and there is no reason for the mag and gun holster to be connected other than being more uncomfortable. Safariland 6390 series for any kind of tactical classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back