KUSA company woes

zhyla

Everyone see the news that KUSA has paused orders, officially is doing some “restructuring”, and (allegedly) did a big layoff.

I’m a little concerned as I just picked up a KR9 which is as far as we know a perfect copy of the Vityaz/Saiga9 guns. Lots of the parts are standard AK parts. But the bolt, firing pin, recoil spring, and probably a few other moving parts are Vityaz pattern. The reason this is a problem is we don’t get those parts out of Russia currently. On the bright side we do seem to get aftermarket Russian magazines here.

I’m kind of an AK purist so I’d rather just have Russian imports open up but until then KUSA was filling a need. But obviously there has been a lot of problems with them as well.

Does your KR9 at least have the updated bolt?

Hopefully someone is able to save them or at least the data for the parts.

I’m not sure how to tell if I’ve got the updated bolt. I saw a photo somewhere before I bought the gun but then couldn’t find it later.

I’m hoping it’s parts compatible with the Saiga9 and we can eventually get parts for it. I’m most worried about the recoil spring tbh. It’s an interesting contraption.

This is the updated firing pin. The old one looks like a flat notch vs the update’s button

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 7
Thank you! I’ve got the new style button. And FYI my KR9 is in the high 9000’s serial range.
Nice, I haven't heard of anything besides the OOB issues with the old FP design.
With the mags, I've had one where the floorplate retainer nub fell off. It was a mag that shipped with the gun and it is an early serial so doesn't seem like the newer mags have that issue

Nice, I haven't heard of anything besides the OOB issues with the old FP design.
With the mags, I've had one where the floorplate retainer nub fell off. It was a mag that shipped with the gun and it is an early serial so doesn't seem like the newer mags have that issue
Do you know how the CA-compliant mags are constructed? I see there’s a rivet. If I need to open the mag for some reason and drill that rivet out, does it need a new rivet to reassemble?

yeah it’s a different floor plate with a big ass follower. I took one apart a few years ago because I was curious too

KUSA on the brink of death is real bummer. However I think the AK is (nowadays at least) too much of a niche platform now that steel cased ammo is similar in cost to brass and no longer easily affordable. The cost of ammo plus KUSA's prices for their actual firearms probably means that their products are really only ever going to be attractive to AK enthusiasts and the one-off buyers who just want something weird and different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back