CCW San Bernardino County CCW

tom

If anyone applied for a CCW in San Bernardino in the last year or so, can you post your initial interview date and how long you waited for the call to set up class and range time?

I'll start - initially applied Feb 2023, postponed interview three times and finally completed the interview Nov 2023. Still waiting for the calll.

I applied in March 2023, had my interview in June 2023 then got the call for my range date and class in September 2023 and completed it all the first week in December 2023.

Reactions: tom
I applied in March 2023, had my interview in June 2023 then got the call for my range date and class in September 2023 and completed it all the first week in December 2023.
Wow only a 3 month wait from interview to call for range date. That's one of the shorter ones I've seen.

Last edited:
Wow only a 3 month wait from interview to call for range date. That's one of the shorter ones I've seen.
It was right after their computers got hacked so they were doing everything pretty much by hand and were trying to push as many as they could through as fast as they could to beat the SB 2 requirements.

When was your initial interview? And how long before you got the denial?
I applied for on 03/27/2023, scheduled for an interview 08/04/2023. There was a discrepancy which pushed it back to November.

I just got denied for not showing good moral character. I wrote all my past criminal and traffic infractions and was completely honest with them. No felonies, lots of speeding tickets and misdemeanors as teenager to my mid twenties which were all listed. I’m at a complete loss here and don’t know what else I can do to prove to them I am a good moral character. I don’t understand when I can get a gun from the DOJ background check but I can’t use it for self-defense the lawful way in the state California. I can get a ccw from AZ but not in my home state. I’m confused as I crossed all my Ts and dotted all my I s yet I was denied for not showing good moral character. It’s upsetting to hear someone that doesn’t know you, says you’re not a good moral character when you live an honest life and are a law abiding citizen. It states I can appeal but from what I know is that they don’t even care or ever heard of anyone getting their appeal overturned. Im just curious to has anyone got there appeal decision overturned?

Last edited:
I applied for on 03/27/2023, scheduled for an interview 08/04/2023. There was a discrepancy which pushed it back to November.

I just got denied for not showing good moral character. I wrote all my past criminal and traffic infractions and was completely honest with them. No felonies, lots of speeding tickets and misdemeanors as teenager to my mid twenties which were all listed. I’m at a complete loss here and don’t know what else I can do to prove to them I am a good moral character. I don’t understand when I can get a gun from the DOJ background check but I can’t use it for self-defense the lawful way in the state California. I can get a ccw from AZ but not in my home state. I’m confused as I crossed all my Ts and dotted all my I s yet I was denied for not showing good moral character. It’s upsetting to hear someone that doesn’t know you, says you’re not a good moral character when you live an honest life and are a law abiding citizen. It states I can appeal but from what I know is that they don’t even care or ever heard of anyone getting their appeal overturned. Im just curious to has anyone got there appeal decision overturned?
How long ago was the criminal / traffic infractions?

I've only heard of one or two appeals that worked due to a common name and mistaken identity.

How long ago was the criminal / traffic infractions?

I've only heard of one or two appeals that worked due to a common name and mistaken identity.
It’s been more than 10 years ago.

I hope that’s the case, that would explain a lot although they don’t disclose what the reason is nor are they obligated to tell me. So I will never know. I’m just baffled that I’m allowed to purchase guns, I am just not be able to use them for self-defense. It’s like, you can buy this car but you’re not allowed to drive it, you’re only able to drive in your house.

Anyways, I’ll give it shot and appeal it, worse they can say is no again. Although, I hope you get a call soon and wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Well best of luck to you. Maybe someone else will chime in with successful appeal stories.

I had a firearm related misdemeanor 30 years ago that I disclosed during the interview and to be honest your post is not giving me much confidence though. Who knows, I may be going down the same road soon.

Well best of luck to you. Maybe someone else will chime in with successful appeal stories.

I had a firearm related misdemeanor 30 years ago that I disclosed during the interview and to be honest your post is not giving me much confidence though. Who knows, I may be going down the same road soon.
I hope you don’t have to go down this road. I’m all for carrying. If you are able to purchase a gun and own one, you should be able to carry for self-defense. As long as you were truthful and honest about everything, there should be no concern. If you’re willing to go through the process of getting a permit for ccw, which is constitutional, that in itself should show good moral character. I never seen a not good moral person go through this process, a not good moral person simply doesn’t care. I really hope you get the phone call and don’t have to go down this road and wonder as to why you didn’t get it when you are being completely honest. I’m really rooting for you and hoping you get it.

Also, I apologize if I discouraged you or made you lose hope. I just simply wanted to know, should I even appeal as I couldn’t find any discussion about it. I always wish for the best but always prepared for the worst as well. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom
It’s been more than 10 years ago.

I hope that’s the case, that would explain a lot although they don’t disclose what the reason is nor are they obligated to tell me. So I will never know. I’m just baffled that I’m allowed to purchase guns, I am just not be able to use them for self-defense. It’s like, you can buy this car but you’re not allowed to drive it, you’re only able to drive in your house.

Anyways, I’ll give it shot and appeal it, worse they can say is no again. Although, I hope you get a call soon and wish you the best of luck.
Gun purchases are not based on good moral character. My guess would be the ' lots of speeding tickets and misdemeanors as teenager to my mid twenties' added up to show a pattern they choose to deny you for.

Gun purchases are not based on good moral character. My guess would be the ' lots of speeding tickets and misdemeanors as teenager to my mid twenties' added up to show a pattern they choose to deny you for.
Probably, which sucks because these all happened in my adolescent days. Now that I am a father, I stick to speed limit and stay out of trouble. I’m all about safety first. These incidents happened a long time ago and I’m no longer the same trouble maker. I’m trying to lead by example and being a good role model, or at least I’m trying to be. I just want to be able to protect my family and make it home to my family the lawful way, that is all. But I will never know why they denied me and won’t be able to carry because of my past. Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back