caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Observations on temp and position sensitivity with reduced Red Dot loads

NapalmCheese

I used to have a bunch of Red Dot. Because of that, when it came to making light recoiling reduced velocity handgun loads (and .30-30) I'd load a light charge of Red Dot in whatever case. For .45 LC that comes out to 4.5 grains of Red Dot under a Bear Creek moly/polymer coated 205 RNFP and for .38 SPC it's 3.1 grains under a Chevy Cast polymer coated 125 grain RNFP.

Fun observation time, when I ran these loads over the chrono to make sure I was making the minimum velocity/power factor I found that the first round out of the holster was nearly always 50-80 fps slower than the subsequent rounds. My theory is that walking around with the guns holstered allows the powder to collect at the front of the case and sort of pack in a bit. After firing recoil spreads the powder more evenly along the side of the case which allows the primer to flash over more powder at once. This is true for both the .45 LC and the .38 SPC loads.

Temp wise, we just came back from a shoot and while I didn't chrono anything while we were there, we observed that the .45 LC rounds were getting noticeably "hotter" as the day wore on. Ammo usually sits in a cart which may or ma not be in the shade.

So, my very unscientific conclusion is that Red Dot is both position and temp sensitive. So if you intend to use it for reduced pistol or rifle loads just keep that in mind.

I also shoot Red Dot and have found it to be position sensitive. Never really looked at the temp issue before but now I’m curious. The only thing I really use it for these days is plinking with The Load in my milsurps with cast bullets.

Until I started shooting CAS I had a bunch of it to use specifically for plinker loads in my .30-30. Now I'm finding I'm shooting it in plenty of different cartridges. It works well, but the position sensitivity is something to beware of. If you need to make a minimum power factor you're probably best off making sure you can make that power factor in any temp/position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back