Question RDS Zero Distance

09cs

Just getting into RDS on pistols, and have a Holosun 507c. What distance would you recommend for a zero? This will be on a CCW gun.

I think zeros should be at the maximum distance you can hold a group tight enough to assess the pattern’s center relative to intended point of impact. For me and the range I go to, that means 25 yards. Plenty of people zero at 10 or 15 though. I wouldn’t zero any closer than 10 because impacts will start to be quite a bit high relative to the dot at intermediate ranges.

10-15 yards depending on your skillset and usage. 15 for competition. 10 for daily. 10 is also good for competition. You can move it back over time. CCW 10 yards is enough. Target should be close if you choose to use it in the majority of situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried 25yds at first but later settled at 15yds. I figured any shoot I'm involved in is very unlikely to be even beyond 5-10yds but at that distance any different in impact is negligible. Then again, Elijah Dickens' shoot was on my mind so I went back to 25yds.

Am I overthinking it? Yeah I'd say so. But that's how I landed at 25.

When thinking about what zero to use for a PMO (pistol mounted optic), first you should understand the concept of Maximum Point Blank Range:
Maximum point-blank range (MPBR) is the distance (in yards) a projectile (bullet) can travel without rising or falling more than a predetermined measurement above or below the point of aim.

Ideally you use a zero that gives you the longest MPBR so you don't have to worry about hold over/under--just aim and shoot. For a PMO that typically means having POI (point of impact) no more than one inch above or below POA (point of aim). Barrel length, caliber, bullet weight, velocity and ballistic coefficient all come into play.

This sounds counter-intuitive but generally speaking a 10 yard zero will give you the longest MPBR.

I like to use 25. At 10 yards you end up being only about an inch low and it's not too hard to reach up to 100 yards or so if you need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back