Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Might run into Problems

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Wait n See!

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hopefully not 2-3 months, LOL
At this point, I’m trying to make it easier for people to onboard. Some people still don’t follow directions with the classifieds with the title.

It’s been a challenge, but I’ll find something that will train users this is NOT Calguns! Just because they did it there, doesn’t mean it was better.

I’m getting some pushback from limits. Namely number of ads and limited bumps. But if I have to do it early to let people know, so be it.

All people understand is what they get for free but many don’t understand what it takes to run a site.

CAguns has been in operation for exactly 5 weeks. Considering how far this site has come, and what happened to Calguns, I think we did what we could to soften the blow for many people would be wondering WTF.

This comes at a cost though. I’m looking for advertisers now to help me and I’m ok with operating costs thanks to the handful of CAguns Supporters. I’ve built this site efficiently enough to run without a problem scaling wise. Cost wise might be a problem later.

I didn’t skimp though. I turned on IP route acceleration and added more security measures. While some folks might NOT like the restrictions. Similar sites using similar software charge more. Ie: SnipersHide which charges users $20/mo for similar and some ways less service functionality here.

IMG_2623.jpeg

Not many people look into it but the software vbulletin 6.x that’s being switched to on cloud is $60/mo for the basic service which is what CG will upgrade to and ZERO add ons. With the base license being $150 flat and a $500 migration fee.

Just the Advance Search (Regional/Roster) and ITrader tech here costs as much as the migration fee alone. Not including a bunch of other things

Here, I have a number of add-ons that raised the price to something similar to snipershide and actually better since I do the modifications myself vs hosted like they do.

I want to continue to offer a free product and continue what CG offered to a point. When I get messages saying people will flock back to CG, I think that’s OK and why I want CG around. This site has a more premium feel because I invest a lot of time and $$ into it. Similar to a new firearm, I Gucci’ed the heck out of this place while trying to keep the UI clean and ⚡️fast.

The image above proves the site will scale without users noticing performance wise, we can pump to 50k users with no problem technically. The main issue now is expectations that this is Calguns and everything should be unlimited and free. Also, people not following convention. It’s tough, but i’ll try to find a training system that works. This is also why I prefer batches of users.

Some of you might’ve noticed more Force to Read messages along with some other changes here and there. I’ll build a feature matrix to make it clear but it’s a challenge to force people to read .

Then again I’m verbose so, apologies lol

At this point, I’m trying to make it easier for people to onboard. Some people still don’t follow directions with the classifieds with the title.

It’s been a challenge, but I’ll find something that will train users this is NOT Calguns! Just because they did it there, doesn’t mean it was better.

I’m getting some pushback from limits. Namely number of ads and limited bumps. But if I have to do it early to let people know, so be it.

All people understand is what they get for free but many don’t understand what it takes to run a site.

CAguns has been in operation for exactly 5 weeks. Considering how far this site has come, and what happened to Calguns, I think we did what we could to soften the blow for many people would be wondering WTF.

This comes at a cost though. I’m looking for advertisers now to help me and I’m ok with operating costs thanks to the handful of CAguns Supporters. I’ve built this site efficiently enough to run without a problem scaling wise. Cost wise might be a problem later.

I didn’t skimp though. I turned on IP route acceleration and added more security measures. While some folks might NOT like the restrictions. Similar sites using similar software charge more. Ie: SnipersHide which charges users $20/mo for similar and some ways less service functionality here.

View attachment 1754

Not many people look into it but the software vbulletin 6.x that’s being switched to on cloud is $60/mo for the basic service which is what CG will upgrade to and ZERO add ons. With the base license being $150 flat and a $500 migration fee.

Just the Advance Search (Regional/Roster) and ITrader tech here costs as much as the migration fee alone. Not including a bunch of other things

Here, I have a number of add-ons that raised the price to something similar to snipershide and actually better since I do the modifications myself vs hosted like they do.

I want to continue to offer a free product and continue what CG offered to a point. When I get messages saying people will flock back to CG, I think that’s OK and why I want CG around. This site has a more premium feel because I invest a lot of time and $$ into it. Similar to a new firearm, I Gucci’ed the heck out of this place while trying to keep the UI clean and ⚡️fast.

The image above proves the site will scale without users noticing performance wise, we can pump to 50k users with no problem technically. The main issue now is expectations that this is Calguns and everything should be unlimited and free. Also, people not following convention. It’s tough, but i’ll try to find a training system that works. This is also why I prefer batches of users.

Some of you might’ve noticed more Force to Read messages along with some other changes here and there. I’ll build a feature matrix to make it clear but it’s a challenge to force people to read .

Then again I’m verbose so, apologies lol
I appreciate you for doing what ya do for the 2a community here in Cali my boy 🫡

I don't know who gave the 2-3 day "estimate", but by now that's obviously radically incorrect. I woulda blown my top and pulled the plug on the current process so things were functional while a "plan B" or whatever was formulated....

At this rate CalGuns may pop up sometime in the 23rd century... I'm really feeling stress for the CG crew, and sincerely hope they can get things back up and going, but the apparent lack of comms from the "support" team that was to do this transition is not a good sign, IMO. I've babysat my share of computers that simply locked up and NEVER completed updates, had to be terminated, and another approach taken - NEVER "fun", but sometimes ya have to "cut bait"...

but the apparent lack of comms from the "support" team that was to do this transition is not a good sign, IMO.
This is a cop out. They get phone support on top of tickets. You can call and escalate to a manager to find out status. How do I know? I’m the guy they escalate customer issues to. One update per week just doesn’t seem right. They should be letting him know % complete or where in the migration they are and ETA to completion.

Whats also strange is that it says it comes with an email domain but the CG update goes against that.

At this point, I wouldn’t mind hosting calguns and taking it off his hands. It won’t be the same as CAguns, but to keep the URL alive and all the historical data and for the members who want it to keep going.

My #1 son and I are in that "red phone" category, we wouldn't be as patient... and we would be asking questions and demanding answers!

And yep, I've been wondering whether perhaps a merger could be brokered to preserve the deep and rich history, but create a smooth running site in all the "Active" areas, slowly adding the rest (could probably be ported a chunk at a time instead of the gigantic tsunami that seems to have washed the site away indefinitely?).

I cannot fathom how they have basically a "no one's home" page for "two weeks", I've worked with time sensitive financial sites where 15 MINUTES of downtime was a potential disaster, and a big ecom site that botched a big update, called me and we literally fixed multiple outstanding major bugs while I chatted with their lead on speakerphone and they were live coding the fixes.... Time is money... CalGuns should be demanding and getting free hosting for quite a while if you ask me!

evidence of life!

Conversion looks like it’s completed. Now they’re onto compatibility! Maybe tomorrow?

Worst case scenario, conversion has errors that they need to fix the data which could take longer than a few days.

Looks like the data is trying to load into the app. So they could be online soon

IMG_2635.png

something is happening.......maybe 2-3 days (LOL)

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1837971

Secure Connection Failed​

An error occurred during a connection to www.calguns.net. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

• The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
  • Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

"SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP" for me, too.

Little bits of progress ...
It's a red herring. the link I posted, shows they tried to hook it up to vbulletin, then pulled the plug. They at least pointed to dreamhost, but now they point to nothing. calguns.net points to null right now, which is that error.

In the link you can put caguns.net and see there's supposed to be an IP address returned with calguns, nothing is returned.

Niiice.. almost 2 weeks on the dot.. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still kind of slow retrieving stuff.

Also note the former 'Friends' classification is now 'Subscribers'. And I had a bunch of threads marked 'subscribed' when I sure don't remember doing that.

Last edited:
I don't like it!! It's just getting used to it I GUESS. Search function not good either. I like they layout of Caguns better and hope the community continues to grow on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back