caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Event Calguns.net Database Backup Date set for 4/16

How will the migration go?

• Cautiously Optimistic

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Might run into Problems

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Wait n See!

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I dunno. It was probably all right until those users got into it!

Yeah, clearly some slow spots - VB folks will need to analyze usage and set up more resources, I think.

Yeah, clearly some slow spots - VB folks will need to analyze usage and set up more resources, I think.
What this says to me is there are some bad queries people are hitting.. There's too much garbage data. If they wanted to clean it up, they would have to do a slow query analysis and start finding the hot spots and nuking them directly in the DB

Yeah man, everything says to me the migration didn't fix the issue. It's a data problem.

What this says to me is there are some bad queries people are hitting.. There's too much garbage data. If they wanted to clean it up, they would have to do a slow query analysis and start finding the hot spots and nuking them directly in the DB
I keep getting 500 errors when posting. It's extremely slow to look at a forum and then try to get back to the display of forum links. Have to use browser refresh.

I keep getting 500 errors when posting. It's extremely slow to look at a forum and then try to get back to the display of forum links. Have to use browser refresh.
Yeah.. query gets built and sent and mysql throws an error. The DB must be thrashing right now. If they did this last year it would've worked. That jump to the incompatible database is likely the root cause IMHO. They need a DBA to sanitize it, i'm not sure if CG is going to be able to recover. I'm also not sure if vBulletin is going to try to clean up the data, 55gb is a lot. Those "bump" posts man, it's unfortunate..

Too many new connections while its thrashing. I'm guessing he's on a weaker cloud server vs a vps, which is what makes it worse than when it was on 3.8.11. 🫤

Edit: Also there's likely a few bad queries that get hit when it gets loaded into memory and blocks everything.

Maybe they'll tune it, but its gonna be a rough time for the vbulletin team trying to fix it..

Last edited:
It's a whole bunch better after two hours of smacking things around.

Mod stuff works; not currently getting 500s; pages display faster and consistently.

Somebody is paying attention out there ...

It's a whole bunch better after two hours of smacking things around.

Mod stuff works; not currently getting 500s; pages display faster and consistently.

Somebody is paying attention out there ...
Yeah, its looking better... They probably are nuking those queries, its looking more consistent..

Yes, CalGuns is back up, but it's slow. Trying the marketplace, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter for a specific brand of gun.

Yes, CalGuns is back up, but it's slow. Trying the marketplace, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter for a specific brand of gun.
And, so far as I am aware, that won't be a feature there. I could be surprised.

At the very top there is a search box.

I tried 'glock' and it returned only 4 threads, one back to 2022, plus 2 wrong retrievals. Indexing not complete? I dunno.

Last edited:
And, so far as I am aware, that won't be a feature there. I could be surprised.

At the very top there is a search box.

I tried 'glock' and it returned only 4 threads, one back to 2022, plus 2 wrong retrievals. Indexing not complete? I dunno.
Ha ha ha. I tried CZ and it said too many entries. So I added SP-01 and it said no entries found.

I’ll give them a week to get things sorted out.

... They need a DBA to sanitize it,... 55gb is a lot.
That post made me snicker. I'm quite sure for a forum (where everything is text based, and the DB is generic open-source software), 55 GB is a lot. But having worked with database people (I used to go to lunch with the people who designed the very first relational database), 55 GB doesn't even rate. Even 10 or 15 years ago, at the VLDB conference (the acronym stands for "very large database", people were talking about Terabytes. Today, we can query petabyte-sized databases interactively and online. But those are databases with very structured data, not long text fields.

Those "bump" posts man ...
The off-topic forums. Man oh man oh man. I bet if we just deleted all the "tere hanges" and "TDS" posts, it would be much easier.

"tere hanges"
What does this even mean?

at the VLDB conference (the acronym stands for "very large database", people were talking about Terabytes.
Depends on the DB for MySql it’s a lot cause it’s single threaded.

My last gig we moved 2 petabytes across multiple Cassandra clusters and I managed the team to migrate Kafka for some large customers

This migration should’ve been a lot easier. I would’ve consulted for free. I actually had a plan to migrate them in my head over to xenforo and keep the ITrader. It would’ve cost a few G’s but totally worth it IMO. That’s probably why he didn’t go that route. More expensive but a better platform.

On Day 13 it came back to life, we'll see how long it takes to get the bugs worked out like the search function and others.
Not a fan of the new layout, but it's better than no calguns.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back