caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

CCW Santa Cruz County

Any experience with doing the CCW with Santa Cruz county sheriff's office, since 1-1-2024? A friend of mine was wanting to do it, but then got too busy with work, and then personal issues came up (happy ones), and I haven't heard from anyone who has tried.

Here is my recent experience with obtaining a CCW license in Santa Cruz County:
TL; DR: Well, it took almost 5 months and $1,125 and change but I finally have it in hand.

I wrote down some info and notes below that chronicle my process. It’s a bit long but I hope it helps some of you, since the entire process can be a bit confusing and vague with the info on the sheriff’s page.

Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) License Checklist (from Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s web page, along with my notes in italics)

Initial Application, Phase One

1. Full-time resident of Santa Cruz County. Proof of residency to include the following:
a. California Driver’s License OR current active military ID and original state ID (I submitted a copy of Real ID Ca. DL.)
b. County certified birth certificate or naturalization papers/certificate (I submitted a copy of certified birth certificate)
c. Current utility bill in your name with service address (must be gas, water electric
or trash) (I submitted a copy of PG&E bill.)
2. Complete Standard Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon (Cal DOJ form
BOF4012). Initial every page of the document. (only initial as it says, do not sign) (Link to form on Sheriff’s website.)
3. Three signed letters of character reference* from individuals other than relatives. (Make sure they are people that will answer their phone and call back.)

*What should be in the character reference letters?
1. Nature of the relationship
2. Length of time of the relationship
3. Acknowledgment that the recommendation is for a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
4. The applicant is of good moral character.
5. The recommendation is done without reservation.
6. Date, contact information & signature.

If you are married your spouse’s contact info (phone#) is needed too.

4. Proof of ownership and registration of each weapon to license for concealment. (I submitted a copy of DROS for each firearm.)
5. Complete Pre-Background Interview Form (Link to form on Sheriff’s website.)
6. Complete Employment and Residence History Form (Link to form on Sheriff’s website.)
7. Check payable to the County of Santa Cruz in the amount of $94.97*
8. Complete Live Scan applicant fingerprinting for CCW application (DOJ fees paid by
applicant) (Link to form on Sheriff’s website.) (I did mine at Santa Cruz Live Scan.)
9. Interview with Professional Standards and Conduct Sergeant

If approved applicant moved to phase two. If denied, the applicant will be notified in writing.

Phase Two
10. Two recent passport size photos (2” x 2”) of the applicant.
11. If necessary, medical doctor review (Wasn’t necessary for me.)
12. Psychological examination (see below for info.)
13. CCW qualification course (16 hours now instead of 8) with all handguns applied for with approved instructor (I did this early in the process, to get it over with. I took my course with NorCal Med Tac. I sent my completion certificate via email to the sheriff.)

*As of 1/1/2023, the Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) License fee is $474.84. Twenty percent (20%) of the fee, $94.97, must be paid when the application is submitted, this portion of the fee is non-refundable. At the conclusion of Phase Two, the applicant will be notified of the application outcome in writing. If approved, the applicant must pay the remaining CCW application fee balance, $379.84, before the CCW license is issued.

Helpful Links and Info:

Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s CCW web page (with info and forms)
https://www.scsheriff.com/Home/SelfHelp/CCW.aspx

Where I took my Live Scan (You can pick the place of your choosing)
https://www.santacruzlivescan.com/

Santa Cruz County Live Scan Locations
https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations?county=Santa Cruz

NorCal Med Tac (where I took CCW training)
http://www.norcalmedtac.com/shop

Sheriff Greg Lansdowne (Retired sheriff, CCW program lead). Greg was very helpful and friendly throughout the process). He works Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Timeline:

January 15, 2024, Live Scan taken and submitted.
January 16, 2024, Application package and 20% ($94.97) fee submitted in-person to Sheriff at 5200 Soquel Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (he happened to be there in person and looked over my application package for completeness.)
February 24th and 25th, 2024, 16 hours of CCW training taken. (1 day at the range at Morgan Hill Sporting Clays and 1 day of classroom instruction in Scott’s Valley at NorCal Med Tac.)
March 14th, 2024, interview with sheriff (very brief and straight forward).
March 19th or so. Sheriff called references.
March 26th, 2024, Call received from sheriff to move to phase 2. Made appointment for psych test.
April 2nd, 2024, Psychological exam taken. (With Behavior Analytix Psychological Services (BAPSI) in Cupertino. Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2) test – part 1 is 567 T or F written questions. 2nd part isa short interview. I took the written test then came back on the afternoon for the in-person interview.).
April 16th , 2024, emailed sheriff to check if psych exam results were received. He said not yet but will check. Turns out they didn’t send it after more than 2 weeks. When the sheriff asked about it, they sent then by email.
April 18th, call received from the sheriff that I passed the psych test (I’m not that crazy, LOL!) and received an email from him that he will submit the final recommendation memo to the Sheriff and undersheriff and that he will let me know when they have signed off.
April 19th, 2024 submitted 2 passport size photos.
April 23rd, Call received to pick up my CCW license. Paid remainder of fees online and picked up license!

Fees:
LiveScan $122
Training class at NorCal Med Tac $340 +$20 range fee
Psych exam $150
CCW License fee $474.84
Passport photos $18

Total: about $1,125, not including ammo and gear I bought for the class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back